HHS Summer Prep for Athletics

Miriam Canup, Staff Member

We have many sports here at HHS and for the athletes who want to get extra practice in for the summer, we have summer camps. Many sports offer camps, such as Women’s and Men’s JV and Varsity Basketball, JV and Varsity Volleyball, Cross Country, and more. 

For basketball, the open gym has already started and camps start in June. The Lady Jackets basketball team has camps at Lee University, Towns County High School, and a couple more. They even hold a one-day clinic for younger girls to come and work on their basketball skills with the older girls helping. Sophomore Leeanna Alberta says, “I’m looking forward to helping younger girls with their basketball skills and getting to go to the Mercer camp.” Mercer is a college in Macon, GA. Mercer is a Division 1 school that is known for its basketball program. Assistant Coach Amanda Thompson played basketball there for four years. 

Freshman Volleyball player Olivia Giddens says, “I’m so excited for the camps this summer. It will be a good opportunity to get ready for the upcoming season.” The camp season for the volleyball team starts in July. They have camps at Seckinger High School, Smoky Mountain, and UT-CHAT. 

If you’re interested in starting a new sport, camp is a great way to start. For more information contact Athletic Director Michael Cottrell or the coach for the sport you are interested in. If you don’t know who the coach is there is a list of coaches on the school’s website.