FBLA Week at HHS

Miriam Canup, Staff Member

During the week of February 6th – 10th you may have noticed some students dressing differently than normal. This may be because they are a part of the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)  organization. Mrs. Jones says that people having the knowledge that FBLA is an organization and not a club is extremely important to their national office. As part of FBLA week, members and advisors did something different each day to celebrate the second week of National CTE month. They were even able to get Commissioner Scott Penland to sign a formal proclamation that the second week of February is FBLA week in Clay County. Student Lauren Gottlieb was faced with this task as part of their Champion Chapter Challenge. The Champion Chapter Challenge is a national competition. They earned silver recognition last year and this year they are on their way to earn gold. 

To celebrate the week, their advisors Mr. Penland and Mrs. Jones suggested a daily theme that coordinated to what was happening on that day. In an interview with member Camila Solorio-Vargas, she says that she was excited to participate in FBLA week because it was a great way to show what the organization is about and the impact the organization has on the community. On Monday, FBLA members were encouraged to wear their FBLA gear and encourage people to join. On the 7th they had “Tuesday Talks” and had FBLA president Nathan Plemmons talk about FBLA on the local radio. Then on “Work Wednesday” the members dressed up as businessmen or women and hosted 8th graders around the school to see the CTE classes. On Wednesday, member Shaun Plummer helped host 8th graders around the high school. He shared with me that it was really good to help the 8th graders get used to the high school building and what goes on here. In honor of “Thoughtful Thursday” the FBLA members were being appreciative of their advisors. Then on the last day of the week they had “Food Friday” where they had a pizza social.  Also on Friday, they started their RADA sales. RADA is a fundraising company that allows students to begin raising funds for their trip to the State Leadership Conference in Greensboro NC. This will pay for their meals, hotels, and registration dues. 

Another focus during FBLA week was to encourage other HHS students to become members. At this time around 5 students have paid their dues and more have completed their forms. They expect to have around 10 new members by the time they submit names to the national and state chapter databases. This will put them at 49 members. To join FBLA, see Mr. Penland or Mrs. Jones with 15 dollars to pay for your dues.