Teacher Cadets Visit NCCAT

Teacher Cadet instructor Mrs. Beck with current Teacher Cadet students and Principal Mr. Overlin

Miriam Canup, Staff Member

On April 24th, Mrs. Beck’s Teacher Cadet class took a trip to Cullowhee to visit the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching(NCCAT) and Western Carolina University(WCU). As a student in the Teacher Cadet class, I got the opportunity to attend the field trip. We started off at NCCAT. NCCAT was established because of N.C. Teacher of the Year 1983, Jean Powell, had a vision. She came up with the idea for teachers to have a space to connect and learn with other teachers. That idea was later brought to life by the local legislature. 

NCCAT is a home for teachers to develop their knowledge as technology and teaching concepts advance. Throughout the school year and summer, NCCAT offers multiple programs for different subjects. NCCAT provides food and residential areas for the teachers who take the programs. There are multiple common areas for teachers to have the chance to collaborate. They have relaxing outside areas also. They have volleyball, basketball, a pond with fish and turtles, and more. NCCAT was a peaceful place, and while I was only there for around an hour, I had fun.

NCCAT’s pond provides a refuge for fish, turtles, and other wildlife. (Miriam Canup)

After we finished our tour at NCCAT we walked over to Western Carolina University. We walked around the beautiful campus. We also talked to current student and HHS 2022 graduate, Kyndal Arrowood. She told us about what her life is like living on campus. She also gave tips to any of the students who might want to attend WCU in the future. After we finished up we went to Chic-Fil-A for lunch. 

The Teacher Cadets had loads of fun touring NCCAT and learning about a future college choice. Teacher Cadet and sophomore Kara Arrowood says, “We had a lot of fun and I am considering going to WCU in the future.” Learning about a future college choice and a resource for teachers was a beneficial experience for students who are considering the career path.